Friday, June 1, 2007

Six degrees of honorary degrees

This is my post #1 - I am going to make a special effort to not talk about why I am here, why this is new for me, and why I want you to comment/not comment...hehe :)

Let's just get down to blogging...

I read this really nice magazine every couple of months - it's called Foreign Policy, and as the wise and brave of heart might glean from its name, it deals with foreign policy issues. What I really like about the magazine is that it doesn't have a 'voice' of its own. I am not fed some mousey editor's propaganda... and more often than not, I get to hear someone smart and unique express a surprisingly fresh viewpoint about an issue that I had not really thought about before!

The current May/June issue has a hilarious graphic to celebrate the graduation season in the U.S., and mock the shockingly rampant 'honorary degree' racket! In homage to the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game, they created this fun chart to reveal how many 'degrees' (pun intended...hehe) separate U.S. President, GWB, from some of the world's most unsavory leaders! Some other day, I will vent my frustration on the practice of awarding honorary degrees - for now, let's just take a moment to giggle and snicker! :)


No comments: