Friday, June 1, 2007

News I'd Like To F@#k

I'm a huge fan of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - somehow, such 'fake news' shows seem to be the only place to go to lately, if you want to cut through all the hype and spin and get to the crux of the real issues... Working with a team of ever-changing and highly-talented 'correspondents', Jon manages to make me laugh out loud... whether it's at night just before my head hits the pillow... or while I eat my lunch at work the next day! :)

Moreover, after some initial reluctance, I seem to have warmed up to Jon's protégé, Stephen Colbert, and his show, The Colbert Report. Infact, come to think of it, what he does is waaaay harder than what Jon does - for 30 minutes every day, Colbert puts on the garb of a conservative S.O.B. - an Abel to Stewart's liberal Cain. For that half hour, he stays in character, mocking 'papa bear' Bill O'Reilly, declaring war against bears and the French, and being very very funny while being totally full of himself...hehe. Hat's off to him and his team of writers!

But I digress - a week or two ago, another correspondent on The Daily Show, Samantha Bee, did this hilarious segment on the sharply rising number of very pretty ladies on the 24-hour news networks like CNN, FOX News and MSNBC... We have seen this phenomenon discussed several times in the past - whether it was when talking about Mandira Bedi and cricket, or with the whole Naked News out of Toronto - but never in such a hilarious way!

No comments: