Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Blast from the past: Cracking the Cherry ;-)

A long, long time ago - 2 years, 8 months, 14 days ago, to be precise - I had started another blog... I had been in the U.S. for just over 395 days, and I don't really know what I was thinking... I actually thought that I would be able to make time during grad school to write regular updates and posts - how wrong I was! Hehe. The blog 'died' after just 4 days... and only surfaced again this morning when a very dear friend reminded me of its existence!

So I went right back... looked through some of those posts... and it's all so funny! I sound like a different person... naive and way-more clueless than I feel today! It felt like I had put a piece of myself into a time capsule, forgotten all about it, and had now stumbled upon it most unexpectedly! Purely for academic purposes, I will now reproduce 4 of my posts from that ill-fated first attempt at blogging... Here's hoping my 'blog' has better luck this time around! Hehe :)

P.S. Btw, if the whole "calculating the days between two dates" bit amused you, here's when you can do some conversions of your own!

--
Thursday, October 07, 2004

Cracking the Cherry ;-)

Well, my oh my... Look what we got here... My very first entry in Blogger... Lemme tell you why this is such a BIG step for me ;-)

Ever since I was a kid I've read these creepy books wherein the protagonist's journal entries somehow came back to haunt them in their later lives... Add to that the apparently ungainly fear that I might die tomorrow and someone I didn't want to would make millions by publishing these very private works (a la Anne Frank), and you had a potent set of reasons to stay away from writing journals of any variety! hehe. Besides, I never really saw any virtue in writing down one's thoughts on paper as a therapeutic device when infact similar or better results could be achieved by a simple 10 minute discussion with self (self-talk is what the shrinks like to call it, me thinks) while sitting on the commode ;-)

But then what's changed today? Why am I here? Why have I joined the ranks of those millions who identify with that exceptionally cheesy phrase "Dear Diary"...:D:D?? Very frankly, I donno... I guess I saw this somewhere, thought it was a cool concept and said "why not?"...

But that's the funny bit - this isn't really like the journals of yore... Here we very much expect that someone might read these thoughts that we put down... Infact some might be putting them down for that very reason... hehe. Who cares! It's an experiment, and I'm a scientist... And I'll be damned if I discount it without giving it it's fair chance to flap its arms around and make a bid at survival... ;-) With these words I embark... and I hope in the days to come, I have very good reasons to continue... But we are getting ahead of ourselves here - that's something only time will tell!

No comments: