Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Blast from the past: Bob Dylan's coming to town!

Oh god, I remember this day so so clearly - I was so excited that I was going for a Dylan concert... Unfortunately, the show was one of the biggest letdowns ever! Dylan creaked and croaked through most of the songs, letting the instruments play on instead of doing much singing... But I guess one must make allowances for his age. In hindsight, I am going to find consolation in the fact that I got to see a legend that up close! :)

--
Friday, October 08, 2004

Bob Dylan's coming to town!

When I was in eighth grade, some teacher of mine dreamt up the notion that I had a good singing voice! This delusion led her to make me sing a song (which I instantly took an immense liking to) in our annual school performances! While that performance is a memory best forgotten, the song has stayed with me through all these years... primarily because the words still resonate true even in todays day and age - nearly 45 years after the song was first written!!!!:O:O That song was Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind"... a veritable classic...

Since then, over these past few years, I have grown to love and admire the work of the great Mr. Zimmerman... So you can imagine my excitement when I found out that Bob Dylan HIMSELF was going to be performing LIVE in UCSB's Events Center... Right here, in my freakin' university!!! Yippeee Doooo! So the tickets were bought promptly and now all I can do is count the days off till October 21st...

Here are those wonderful lyrics of the very first Dylan song I ever heard:

=====

BLOWIN' IN THE WIND

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea?
Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
Pretending he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

=====

For more such Dylan lyrics, here's a great site to check out: http://orad.dent.kyushu-u.ac.jp/dylan/default.html

Bob Dylan is the man who is said to have represented an era... a man who spoke for an entire generation... In 13 days when he speaks again, I will be right there listening with my ears tweaked:D:D

No comments: